Friday, August 12, 2005

virtual immersion

"Boy, it really is a mess out there this afternoon" - officially my least favourite phrase of the day. In this case the speaker referred to traffic but, really, could that be the prelude to anything good? The thought that it could be a karmic payback for doing absolutely nothing at work today was quickly chased away by the following insight after listening to a Stone's song "Hmmm, they really do suck". That's right folks. And I stand by it.

I called my father to see what he was up on this rainy friday evening - it's not so strange a question, his social life usually outshines mine. He asked in return what I was doing tonight. Nothing. Then he asked what my friends are doing tonight and I really couldn't think of what friends he was referring to. I bluffed my way through an answer, hung up and stared off into space thinking...could it be that I've been more involved in keeping up with blogs than I have with friends? Yup. That can't be good. But really, blog-friends are just so easy.

Having duly noted this phenom, I will now commence with my plans to stay in for the night and talk to...well, no one. Hey, I talk all day and I'm tired from last night's insomnia brought to you by the letter S.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm really not sure about this method of communication, but I'm pretty certain what McCluhan (sp all wrong) would have had to say. It seems very alienating, reaching out to everyone and no one similtaneously.

The one thing I do like is the reflective element which helps to bring understanding. I guess what I'm saying is that virtual is just that.

Must be showing my age in all this. Maybe it's the result of a stomach bug that I've picked up and has forced me to stay home from work, but won't allow me to enjoy the staying home part. Maybe I picked up this bug from cleaning up dog sick for two days. She's recovered, I'm ill. The older I get the more I hate picking up puke!