Wednesday, January 18, 2006

wherever i go, there i am

At the end of my practice today I mentioned to my teacher how different the experience of practicing here is from practicing in Mysore by commenting that here, everything hurts. As soon as I said it I realized that I really did mean everything and I wanted to cry. Home has habits, responsibilities, expectations and challenges - not bad things just very, very present. It's at home that my monkey mind comes out to play. Two ridiculously painful injuries appeared the day after my first home practice, my driste is off, focus gone, energy low; I feel like I've taken a beautiful symphony and turned it into angry thrash.

Still, that's all part of the beauty of the practice. Today's savasana was a gorgeous death, a chance to let go of the morning's frustrations and I did. I know that tomorrow will very likely be a completely different practice but, boy, was today ever one of those days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Usually the bear from the previous post is only capable of doing an angry thrash, but sometimes the bear can put on a tutu and dance Swan Lake, and that's the joy of the work. You just never know what you're going to be wearing that day - it's just important that the bear gets out there.