Given that I've never actually been asked any such questions, I've given my response to queries such as "If you could invite any 5 people to dinner, who would they be?" or "If you had the opportunity to meet anyone, alive or dead, who would you choose?" a shocking amount of thought.
I think it's because I've heard others answer and, no matter what their response, it always seemed better than what I come up with: a big, vacuous, cowed by the infinite possibilities response of "I don't know". Either they pick someone touching, like a family member, and I feel like a heel for not having thought of that myself or they go for some iconic figure and I feel like an imbecile for not having the foggiest idea of who they're referring to.
A few days ago I came across this quote that I'd written down a lifetime ago:
"One can be filled with that spirit of divine discontent which forces all free people to face some new discovery or to live their lives in a new way"
I copied it from Man and His Symbols by Carl Jung and faint recollections from lectures attended and books read about Jung have been bubbling to the surface ever since.
That he advised ignoring science texts and 'wandering the world with a human heart' to truly gain knowledge of the human soul. His belief in synchronicity and the collective unconscious. The way he discussed his views on the human psyche interchangeably with references to mythology, philosophy, and religion. That he looked to dreams and creativity for insight into our 'inner space'. His absolute belief in the importance of symbolism. The very fact that rediscovering the quote above helped soothe my absolute impatience at waiting until April to be free...I finally have an answer: I'd like to have dinner with Carl Jung, please.
Divine discontent. What a beautiful way of putting it. Now, if only I can get the cantankerous, frustrated, impatient child screaming "now, now NOW" that seems to have taken over my 'inner space' to listen - that would be something.
Thursday, February 16, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
divine discontent, the way that I am perceiving it, can be very inspiring. Life is scary, mysterious, putrid, and beautiful. L. You, on the other hand, are both inspiring and beautiful.
ive had the same dof ear copy of carl and his man and our symbols for years. ive never read it straight through, but flip when i cant sleep. i dont rememebr what my point is.
but yeah carl is
a smart man
eks
but he would be on my top 5 sushi last as well.
Post a Comment