Sunday, April 18, 2010

cherry blossoms

In 1959 the Japanese government gifted the city with 2,000 cherry blossom trees. The reasons are unknown, the results are awesome.





The park was packed and the sidewalks lined with people making the annual migration to the trees. There were picnickers, drummers, guitar players, hackeysack players, slackliners, frisbee games, and when we left a DJ was setting up his equipment.




And there were, of course, photographers. Rabid, nature-starved city-dwellers with cameras beautiful enough to make a grown girl (me) cry taking pictures of everything in view. Some people, tired of the trees (or the crowds) turned to the pond. These ones made me laugh - hey look! a swan! take a picture! I love the way the swan is looking at them as if to say "Dude! WTF?".




And the ducks? Thoroughly unimpressed, chilling on a log waiting for the annoying humans to get the hell out of their home. Humans are funny.


Whenever I see this many people gathering outside for something - a sunset, the first snow, cherry blossoms - I always think that us humans, we haven't totally lost ourselves in modernity yet. We're going to be just fine.

Impossibly busy and so much happening at once. Loving every little thing I'm doing. Wishing it weren't going to end for the summer. At the same time, can't wait for the break. Four more days of work until four months of play.

No comments: