Tuesday, August 15, 2006

the summerhouse

For months I've been hearing about 'the summerhouse' - the lake, the sauna, the...sauna...and...did I mention the sauna? In what appears to be common knowledge to everyone except myself, the Finns are crazy about their saunas. For weeks after I arrived in Finland most incoming emails included the question 'So, have you had a sauna yet?'. How did you people all know this? Since arriving, I've learned a great deal about saunas, more, really, than the average person actually should have to know, including this: it's not just an outdated stereotype, the Finns really do like their sauna's. As it was best explained to me, the summerhouse is really just an excuse to have a sauna.

Originally, I was far more curious about the idea of a 'summerhouse', it's such a grand name, did summerhouse mean cottage cottage or Muskoka cottage? After a while, though, I cared less about the building and more about the sauna. The idea of voluntarily moving from lovely, warm room to cold lake and back again really didn't seem too appealing but, having had several nights of 'the sauna' I somewhat grudgingly admit that I'm a convert. It's a lovely tradition.

I can also report that 'summerhouse' translates to cottage cottage, as in a proper A-frame, wooden building fronted by a wall of glass windows overlooking the lake and a porch swing that I've made my temporary home. Pictures below.


Me & Hannu being rock people


Eppu & Katsa preparing to brave the lake


Eppu & Katsa rowing & the sauna off in the distance


Shaving

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sauna...
My grandparents when buying a cottage in sudbury"canada" way back when....1960-something, a log cabin lost on a 3 acre island....before building a dock grandpa built his sauna....they loved loved it, lived it...hand picked rocks,scrubed cedar planks, birch logs split ready to burn .... then every so often the steamed birch branch whippings to open the pores ....sure we loved soaking the rocks( I used a spider man squirt gun)....but then we had to pay the HOT !!steam price( so then jump, jump, jump in the lake...bare bums)...so young my brother and I were and so missed the sauna is right now.
enjoy every sauna moment becca...
:) seatofthepants