Too late to matter? Yeah, I'm sorry. I got caught up in things. The tail end of 2007 was mired in an old story not quite resolved, early 2008 busy laying the story to it's final rest, and the days since busy spinning around the many new doors opening now that old doors are closed.
So far 2008 has been good to me, filled with new friends, inspiration, and great conversations from the most surprising of places. It's been a year of long yoga practices followed by longer coffee breaks with yogi friends, pain-free practices after struggling a chronic injury for FOUR years, suggestions of new directions in work, exciting plans for the coming months, the return of dear friends and the discovery of new ones. It's been a year where things are coming together so easily I'm constantly surprised by the fact that things are actually working out (gasp). I know, the 'year' is only 18 days old so far, but so far? Its been a good freaking year. I think I'm going to like 2008 (so please stay 2008, pretty please with cherries on top).
What makes it even better is that its begun with an ending that makes me sad, with boredom at work, with feeling personally uninspired, and not knowing what comes next or how to fix it - but that's ok. It's ok that, in addition to the wonderful things I mentioned above, I'm also very sad about the boy, bored stiff at work, and lost as to what I want to be when I grow up (or where, or with who, etc) - because I haven't BECOME those things, they don't define me. What I mean is I may still feel sad but I'M not sad.
I've remembered how to make room for happiness and sadness, boredom and inspiration, awesome plans and complete unknowns to be in the same place at the same time and know that sometimes one prevails, sometimes the other, but things will come into balance again whether I stress about it or not (so really, better not). It's the nature of things. And that? That is such a relief after the fall where I didn't feel sadness, I became it and it became me. There was no escape and I stopped even hoping there would be. A fall when I remembered there was a time when I didn't feel hopeless but I couldn't remember how to get back there, like I'd forgotten the lines of a song and they were on the tip of my tongue - but not quite present enough to be able to sing them.
I think that's the blessing of depression; when the cloud lifts you appreciate those moments of sunlight so thoroughly and you know that there will be a time when the sun will go behind the clouds again but there's no need to worry - it will come back. You don't know when or how long you'll have to wait but, have faith, it will reappear.
Just prior to the end of 2007 and the beginning of 2008 I had a beginning and an ending of my own, my birthday. To celebrate, Becky and Jeff hosted a 'Becca-Mas' celebration in Ottawa complete with a ton of friendly faces, live music, lots of food and, best of all, my very own vegan chocolatey-chocolate birthday cake. Shortly after the picture below was taken we bundled up into snowsuits and took our cake outside to enjoy in the neighbour's backyard snow fort - a multi-room snow fort complete with glowing candles and benches to sit on (Ottawa has had a LOT of snow this year).
Sitting in a snow fort in my bright red snowsuit and pom pom hat eating chocolate cake was a pretty awesome way to begin my own new year. Although ridiculously late, to say so, I do hope everyone had a great beginning to 2008 and a kind 18 days so far.

No comments:
Post a Comment