Monday, July 5, 2010

rickety rickshaw pictures

Roads are shared with cars, bikes, pedestrians, carts, trucks, cows and dogs. There are traffic rules but I can't always tell just what they are other than do whatever you want but honk first. If you honk, nothing is wrong. We careen around obstacles, jerk to full stops, and the rickshaws themselves are in pretty crappy condition so even if we were on a smoothly paved road, we'd arrive at our destination well shaken anyway. So you can imagine that taking pictures en route can be a pretty futile endeavour. But it's fun so, here are some roadside pictures....









That last picture? Mysore's urban myth proven to be true. At home we have an albino squirrel rumoured to live in Bellwoods Park but neither I nor anyone I know has ever seen it. I'm not exactly sure said albino squirrel actually exists. The equivalent here is the one female rickshaw driver said to rule the streets of Mysore. Over a period of several visits I'd heard about her over and over but, again, neither I nor anyone I know had ever actually met her. Until this trip. Behold Mysore's sole female rickshaw driver. She's badass for sure.

No comments: